Saturday, August 8, 2009

august 2009 first friday gallery walk, leesburg, virginia





Last Friday night was the first time in a long time I went on the local First Friday gallery walk in Leesburg, Virginia. There was a lot of excellent work and music all over town and I had good reason to be there as well. Two galleries have some of mine and my wife Kris' work on display. Above are some photos from Gallery 222, located on King Street in Leesburg's Historic District. Last week they took submissions for their eighth annual "Something Hot" exhibit, which is a juried show. I entered my "Spotted Turtle Portrait" (who was also in the Square Art show at APW Gallery in NYC) at the urging of Kris. I was nervous the piece was going to get rejected, but stayed optimistic as well. Seeing the caliber of work there was very encouraging, and makes me want to get back to some more painting, just like with last Winter, when I was on a bit of a roll. The show goes on until late August and is well worth dropping in on.












The eleven photos above feature work at a new art space in Leesburg called "The Galleries of South King Street". I passed by the space last week and decided to turn back and check it out. I was impressed by the variety of art and how well the work was displayed throughout. I talked to a wonderful woman named Laura, who runs the space, and she suggested I bring in some stuff. So I immediately did, and now there are eight pieces, as well as some of my mini-books on display and for sale there. Kris came along with me as well and also got some of her beautiful sterling silver beaded works on display! Once again, the work is all on display throughout the rest of the month, so if you are in the area, go on in. It's such a friendly, warm and inspiring environment.

So, it was a special evening for Kris and I, and hopefully I'm not sounding like too much of a braggart here. More than anything, I hope this encourages anyone who had any doubts about trying something they wanted to, or had a fear of failure or being rejected. Whatever it may be, take a chance and say you tried.