Monday, October 12, 2009

anti-pop consortium, live at the rock & roll hotel, washington, dc, 10/10/2009



Last Saturday night I saw and heard my all time favorite hip hop act, the Anti-pop Consortium perform live at the Rock & Roll Hotel in DC. It's been a long time coming for these guys, who I witnessed live in DC about seven or eight years ago, right before the height of their career and the breakup of the band. It seemed so long ago, and I was joking with a fan about how I was still using film when I photographed them then.









APC formed in the mid nineties in NYC, after meeting at various MC battles and as a reaction to the crap rap and vapid boy bands dominating the music scene at the time. The collective of M Sayyid, Beans, High Priest and producer Earl Blaize were a force unmatched in lyrical and vocal skill and in pushing the musical envelope, returning hip hop back to its true place as a genuine art form. When they broke up, I was both shocked and dismayed. Then, a couple of years ago, after group members released a slew of great solo material, rumor had it APC were back together in the studio laying down material for a new lp. Well, judging by last Saturday night's performance, which, honestly, was far more intense and energetic than the first time I saw them, and by the new live material, which made up about 99% of their live show, APC are back in a big way. I haven't had the chance to pick up their new cd, "Fluorescent Black" but I've got a feeling it'll easily be some of the best music I've heard all year, and 2009 is turning out to be a year overflowing with amazing sounds. Let's hope they return soon to DC, like they promised!