Thursday, March 4, 2010

sketch dump: 2/2010







Finally, a sketch dump from February! More Splotch Monsters and "entities" this time around. I'm almost finished adding details and extra features to the last of the vacant-looking Splotch Monsters from last year. It's hard to sometimes tell when I've crossed the line into overkill territory with some of them though. I've also started a few giant Splotch Monsters on some huge watercolor sheets, though I'm still trying to figure out the best way to add features to 'em. The latest series of entities were all done in a little Piccadilly notebook given to me from a Blogger friend a while ago (thanks Brian!) and I also made a colorful one as part of Big A's Moleskine exchange. Working on these reminded me how fun it is to draw in a smaller sketchbook. Anyhow, I'm slowly working on a very large new painting that I hope to finish by the end of this month. Work's always an insane circus every March with all the extra-curricular stuff going on - I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew, but sometimes I feel like I have to fight to maintain my identity as an artist. Sometimes I feel foolish even calling myself one, but I don't subscribe to the negative, woe-is-me victim role. I believe that when we fall into those self-imposed roles it becomes self-perpetuating. Oh well, in the meantime here's to Spring's (and Spring Break's) speedy arrival!