Tuesday, April 27, 2010

from the archives ("crab kid, maracas beach")



Here's another beach shot, this time from Trinidad. Back in 2007 I had visited my wife for the first time. I had not traveled by plane in decades (only one other time in my life) and the only other time I had been to another country was on numerous visits to Canada, in my youth. Needless to say, I was stressed to the bone, and the first time I finally began to relax a little was when we visited beautiful Maracas Beach. I don't consider myself much of a beach-comber, but I like to visit one every now and then. I will say that I've never seen or been to one this beautiful in my life, and it was quiet and peaceful, surprisingly. The one slight disturbance (if you want to call it that) was a boy who was walking around selling crabs. He didn't speak to anyone - he simply would stand nearby a while, then move on. I was told that this was how some of the locals on the beach made a living. The crabs were live, and I have to admit, they freaked me out somewhat, being so close to me as I tried to lay there and relax. Luckily I got a couple of shots, including this one. The man in the background, to the right added a whole new element to this photo, and I thought he looked kind of shifty, as if he wasn't supposed to be there or something.