Wednesday, April 14, 2010

from the archives ("word to your mother")



Here at the ol' bloggety-blog, I think I'll start posting random photos - possibly one a week, culled from my Flickr stream -photos that I find interesting, strange, or in this case, oddly hilarious. I took this shot early one morning when myself and a bunch of fellow art teacher colleagues were on a field trip in late August, 2008. While waiting to get into the National Portrait Gallery in DC, someone noticed this post-it-note with what appeared to be a poem. The last sentence was the icing on the cake, and I can only imagine some young wannabe slam poet furiously scrawling these words down, hunched over with furled brow, chasing each brilliant word with his mighty ball-point. Ironically, there were several exhibits focusing on hip-hop culture at the Gallery that month. Anyhow, I must confess there was a brief period in my younger life when I wrote poems of this sort - some having potential, while others were downright embarrassing. I have to admit though, I've never written anything quite as profound as this one (tongue-in-cheek).