Friday, July 30, 2010

sketch dump: 7/2010







Q: Why do I draw? A: Because I like to draw.

There are days, however, where drawing is the last thing I want to do, though I think about drawing often. The drawings above are from the DC area sketchbook exchange I belong to. Some were done outdoors in lots of heat, others indoors. I love the book I was working in - perfect, 5.5" x 5.5", square sketchbook with beautifully textured paper, and lots of it. I can't recall the name at the moment but saw a bunch, in different shapes and sizes at a great little arts & crafts shop in Akron, this size for only ten dollars. I also decided to include five of my favorite Splotch Monsters from this month as well. It was a tough choice, having to choose from roughly thirty - my average number every month. One of them is even a collaboration between Kris and I. Can you guess which one it was?








After drawing somewhat consistently now for the past four or five years, I finally feel like I'm actually learning to draw again. I was looking back at some drawings from about four years ago and was surprised I thought they were any good. I ended up throwing most of 'em in the 'ol recycle bin. I remember when I could draw very well, back in college, when we would go three times a week, four hours at a time, not including outside projects. We used lots of charcoal then - a messy but excellent drawing medium. Drawing with pen is a whole other ball game, and it's taking me a while to get it. I know I've said this on my blog before, but it always amazes me how so many people who don't do art think the ink flows magically from talented artist hands onto the paper as a picture perfect image. If only that were the case. Perhaps that is the case with a more practiced hand. I probably should document all the failed attempts - the numerous crinkled up papers, tossed in the bin after a couple of hours at a time trying to get an Illustration Friday prompt right. No, it doesn't sound like much fun at all, this drawing stuff. But part of the fun is that challenge, and knowing that by the end of the project, you have created something that is your very own, from your hands and mind - you made something that you can be proud of and communicated something beyond mere words, be it humorous, serious, happy or sad.