Friday, August 13, 2010

star gazer



"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
-Carl Sagan

Before Kris and I got married, she stayed out here in Virginia with me for a summer, a couple of years ago. One of my fondest memories from that time was when she told me, with great excitement, about a major meteor shower to occur during the early morning hours. It was only for one night and was predicted to be a highly visible spectacle, seen easily with the naked eye. So, around midnight that night, we got some blankets and pillows and set up shop in the middle of the tennis court in front of our apartment. At first, nothing. In fact, after about a half an hour we almost threw in the towel. Then we both, at the same time jumped, fingers pointed to the sky. It was a meteor, bright as can be but only lasting for a couple of seconds. The brief presence of this tiny streak of light was, for some reason, incredibly exciting to us both. We ended up staying out there until three in the morning, and to our surprise were the only people out there. It was kind of disappointing but it also made our little adventure all the more special. I ended up counting eleven shooting stars, and Kris saw about seven. Every time we saw one it was like seeing one for the first time. Seeing those meteors was just as amazing as when I got to see Saturn from a big telescope in the country in Pennsylvania sometime in the late nineties. Knowing Kris enjoyed this experience as much as I did further made me realize she was the right girl for me.

*made for the Illustration Friday prompt "star gazing", watercolors, coffee, gel pen and Pigma Micron pen in A4 watercolor Moleskine, loosely based on a photo I took and an album cover by Nightmares On Wax, 8/13/2010

More Carl Sagan words of wisdom can be found HERE.