Tuesday, September 7, 2010

summertime dessert


Recently, over the summer my wife spotted a curious-looking creature hovering around some flowers at a local vineyard. Before I could identify it, she said "Look, it's one of those hummingbird bugs!". I took a couple of photos, and sure enough, it was a Hummingbird Hawk-moth. The first time I actually spotted one was while traveling back home to VA, at a rest stop flower bed in Maryland. It totally confused me, this bizarre little thing zipping around like something from science-fiction. Was it a hummingbird? Was it an insect? What on Earth was this thing?! I brought it up to some people and not many folks seemed too familiar with it. I think some of them thought I was high or something. I forgot who finally did identify it for me, but thanks to Google, the mystery had been solved. In the meantime, I created two versions illustrating this silly-named insect enjoying a sweet summer treat. The bottom version is the original drawing. I thought I'd try and get a hot, summery feel with some help from Picnik, in the upper image. I'm still not sure which one I like best.