Sunday, October 31, 2010

so long october










Over the past week or so, I ended up taking my camera with me on walks I'd take around Leesburg after work. The weather has been excellent so far, though it's starting to cool down and actually feel like it should feel, temperature-wise. I didn't get any good hikes in on the Appalachain Trail this Fall, like I usually do, but I did manage to do lots of walking. Kris and I even got a visit in to a local vineyard today at the gorgeous Willowcroft Vineyards. It was the best kid and costume-free Halloween I've ever had in my adult life so far thanks to the view and the wine and some quality time with Kris. I only posted one pic from that visit here, but I'm currently working on an extensive Flickr set, collecting lots of shots from all the local vineyards we've visited. Afterward we dropped by King Street Coffee for some good hot chocolate and coffee.










I always wonder how October passes on by so quickly, and how November always seems to signal a start to the cold and the holiday craziness. I'm making an effort this year to choose not to get all wrapped up in the materialistic madness that can define and frankly ruin the holiday season for me, and try harder to enjoy the simple things that life brings us every day, and hold on to my sanity. Speaking of, I would have loved to have been at the Rally to Restore Sanity in D.C. this weekend, but after a week of kids being totally amped up about Halloween, long lines and big crowds was definitely not the way to restore my own personal sanity. That said, I've always been a fan of Jon Stewart and Steve Colbert, and think they're genius. The rally looked like a blast, the signs were hilarious and I'm glad about the big turnout. Jon's speech was by far better than any I've heard from any politician too, to be honest. In the meantime, I'm ready for November. I'm ready for the cold and I look forward to visiting Pittsburgh for Thanksgiving. I hope everyone had a great October and Halloween!