Saturday, October 23, 2010

technopunk art opening at the soundry, vienna, virginia, 10/22/2010

Last night, Kris and I drove out to The Soundry art space in Vienna, VA to check out the opening reception for their TechnoPunk exhibit. The show encompassed everything from Low Brow and Street Art styles to more formalist, traditional works, and everything in between. The show's title, TechnoPunk, included works reminiscent of more dystopian Gibson-inspired industrial aesthetics, nostalgic Steam Punk styles, and day-glo techno-influenced works. I had five pieces in the show, including two paintings made this year, as well as three collages from a series I worked on nearly eight years ago.

Upon arrival we encountered a great graffiti mural in-progress, as some awesome dub music was booming nearby, providing a healthy dose of audio inspiration to the artists bombing the wall-space in front of us.

After grabbing some tea and a cupcake, we saw this eye-catching robo-beast painting. I'm not sure who the artist was, but several of his or her works looked like they were hanging up throughout the space last night. Real good stuff!

The Johnny Number Five and RoboCop pieces really appealed to my nostalgia-spot, being a big fan of these films growing up as a kid.

There's another wild and wonderful robo-beast, going wild to the left of an acrylic  painting I completed last February called "The Lure".

I was real happy to dig out a few of my robot collages I made when I first moved out to Leesburg, VA. They all have a special place in my heart, as I recall first getting back into art-making again, sitting on the floor of my tiny single-room loft apartment, cutting and gluing away. They're still like new.

The works above were pretty fabulous, reminding me of something out of Bladerunner perhaps. I can't recall if they were digital or hand-cut/glued collages.

Kris got me to buy her a CD by local trio, "The Polka Dots", who were performing live for last night's visitors at The Soundry. They did a fine job playing and singing last night and I highly recommend seeing 'em live and buying their music. On a side note, I discovered one of the members of the band took a cartooning class I taught one summer several years ago. Man, I feel old now.

Lots of Steam Punk heads were in attendance last night. It was interesting listening to a brief discussion on the meaning of Steam Punk at the opening. Lots of the Steam Punk attire consists of repurposed articles of clothing, mixing and merging both nineteenth century and futuristic styles.

The diptych of paintings above reminded me a little of something out of Neil Gaiman's "Mirrormask" film. It inspired me to want to try painting in a looser style again, which I enjoy most when painting.

The fifth and final piece I had at the show was the "Robot Symphony" one above. I'm still undecided on an official title for it. Kris really likes this one and is hoping it doesn't sell. I thought if fit well with the show's theme though, and I like the cloud wall it's hanging on in The Soundry.

This man had some very interesting Steam Punk-inspired works in the show. I loved his giant camera he used to shoot photos with throughout the evening.

There was a cool little animated robot at the show, who was part of an installation which included a graphic novel and several clay sculpture figurines. I wished I had brought a pen and paper to write some of the artists' names down.



On our way out, the graffiti artists were still working feverishly on their mural, this time to the sounds of some underground hip hop, in front of a small crowd of admirers and onlookers. It was good to visit this cool, unique space that is The Soundry once again, after a while away from the place. If you're in the area, please drop on by and check out the show for yourself. Works will be displayed through November 30, 2010.