Friday, March 18, 2011

auburn lull: "broken heroes"



I've been listening a lot to Auburn Lull's "Begin Civil Twilight" ( 2008, Darla) CD these past couple of weeks.  It's easy to compare this Michigan-based shoegaze band to great groups like Slowdive, however, they take their genre in new directions, and in many cases, I like Auburn Lull's music even more, which is no easy feat. "Begin Civil Twilight" might just be one of my all time top ten favorite albums now, and it was an album that grew on me gradually. A song I keep returning to is the song above, "Broken Heroes", and I somehow can't help listening to it without thinking of the tragedy unfolding in Japan right now.  My problems seem so incredibly trivial right now, I simply cannot fathom what these people are going through. My heart goes out to them and somehow I'm optimistic that Japan will find a way to rise again from this awful disaster.