Thursday, March 24, 2011

cultivate empathy


What's the role of an artist? I guess it depends on who you ask. For some it's telling stories through pictures. Others attempt to shock, just for the sake of it. Some attempt to make us think more about ourselves and our world. I'm not sure what mine is in particular, and on some days I doubt my own credibility as an artist, which is in the end, a bunch of negative self-talk. When I am making art, I usually tend to gravitate towards a cultivation of empathy, usually pertaining to living things that aren't human. This isn't because I don't value empathy towards humankind. Rather, it is my belief that if we care for even the seemingly most insignificant forms of life on our planet, struggling to get by just like us, then we begin to set in motion a positive domino effect. I'll probably post more about this later here soon. In the meantime, the image above was drawn on the front and back cover of a Moleskine sketchbook, showing one of the world's most endangered animals, the Javan Rhino. Last month I was contacted by Moleskine to be a part of a pilot group of artists to launch a new marketplace for customized Moleskine notebooks, and today is the first day the official site went up.  So far I only have one item for sale there, but plan on getting some more work up there soon, when the school-related work dies down a little more next month.  Check it out when you can, and maybe you might want to consider selling some of your own work there as well.