Saturday, March 5, 2011

russell simmons on a vegan diet, etc.



Kris showed me some short interviews with Russell Simmons on You Tube that gave me a whole new level of respect for the guy, especially this one here. I'm not into mainstream hip hop, but you've got to give a self-made man like Simmons props.

I'm not 100% vegan, or even 50% for that matter, but I'd like to make more of an effort. I'm sure he, like a lot of vegans get the "why?" thrown at them a lot, and not always in the most respectful tone. The same goes for folks who decide to no longer watch TV, or decide to donate a bunch of their belongings they no longer need or use, or downsize to a smaller home. I say, why wouldn't you? What are you afraid of and perhaps even more so, who are you afraid of with regards to what they think? Myself and my wife have been slowly and steadily making small, positive adjustments to our own lives that might not sit well with what the so-called norm dictates, and I only wish I would have thought of these things at least a decade earlier. I'm seeing a small but growing revolution in thought and action happening all around, and folks like Simmons can be seen as elder statesmen (no offense to his age). It's not about achieving perfection, which is not remotely possible, because there is no such thing and there never will be. It's about erasing all the noise, eliminating the extraneous bullsh*t, being honest with yourself, and taking small steps. I hate terms like "new age" or labels like "vegan", personally. I'd like to see it as simply positive change.

I especially like Simmons' simple and clear answer to the "why?" question here. This was filmed in 2008, and while I was all about Obama then (who Simmons talks about), I'm not too sure about him anymore today, especially with his recent approval of more genetically modified produce, which runs counter to any small amount of progress natural and organic farmers have worked so hard to make. There's a more invisible war going on right here on our nation's produce farms, and the world's farms for that matter, and that was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

Alright, enough rambling. Just check out the interview for yourself and formulate your own opinions.