Saturday, July 9, 2011

hall & oates: "method of modern love", "i can't go for that", & "cold dark & yesterday"





*"Cold Dark & Yesterday" vid link

OK, I'm not afraid to admit, I love Hall & Oates. I grew up with their eighties period, and both my mom and dad listened to them a lot. Thing is, they have an almost universal appeal to their stuff. The songs are good, REALLY GOOD! They're pop, but not crap. They're soulful without sounding pretentious, and they always had somewhat of an edge to their sound, without going too far off the edge. While most hardcore fans probably prefer their seventies stuff, I thoroughly dig their early eighties work, from albums like "H2O", "Private Eyes" and "Big Bam Boom". This is what I consider their synth period, much like the band Rush, who were a far different musical beast. They had a new wave vibe, even an industrial feel in their sound in some of their songs during this time, which I suppose was sort of the trend at the time anyhow, but it sounded, and still sounds like a very natural assimilation. While I loved their music, I guess I never really thought it was that cool to admit it back in the day, which in hindsight, was kind of a lame thing to think. I was recently at a CVS in Pittsburgh with my wife and a good friend when the song "Method of Modern Love" began to play. My friend looked at me and said "you know who this is?", and soon after I started uncontrollably singing M-E-T-H-O-D O-F L-O-V-E (while sort of dancing), that's the kind of effect their music can have on a person. I included that very video here for your viewing pleasure, in all its ridiculous early eighties, this video has nothing to do with the song, what the bleep is going on here, glory. It wasn't one of their biggest hits, but it's still one of their best, in my humble opinion. And no good H & O mix is complete without their hit classic "I Can't Go For That (NO CAN DO)". Just listen to that beat, and some of the smoothest, and dare I say ethereal keys ever played. Finally, from "Big Bam Boom" I featured the lesser known but, in quite a few fans' opinions, highly underrated song "Cold Dark & Yesterday", which is right up there with their best. It's a link, because I couldn't feature the actual footage at my blog, sorry. I also apologize about the commercials at the beginning of the vids. Enjoy, and try not to move to this (or sing along for that matter)!