Wednesday, January 4, 2012

always forever now, the messenger


"The Messenger"
18" x 22"
acrylic and pen on canvas




"Always Forever Now"
18" x 22"
acrylic and pen on canvas




Featured above are a couple more paintings that I worked on in the recent grad-level painting class I took last Fall. They're a couple of the first I started with, and only last night completed. Since I was advised to start with something familiar, subject-wise, I based both of these on some smaller, watercolor and pen-based works I made in late 2010, and they'll be part of an ongoing series I've been working on concerning spirituality. While there were some things about the original watercolor versions that were very appealing and unique to watercolors, both of these turned out to be overall better pieces, and after a year of making art on a semi-regular basis, they should indeed be improvements on the originals. At the time I was making these, I thought they were pretty large, but after working even bigger, I wished these could have been made at least twice as large, though for now they'll do. You can see the transition from these paintings, which include bare trees, to the more realistic, literal subject matter in my more recent works. I feel I'm at a bit of a crossroads right now, and while I want to focus on and continue the more literal, nature-based paintings, I don't want to discard this style either. What I might do is simply put this series on the back-burner for now and continue in the direction I've been going more recently. One thing I've learned in that class is not to work so linear anymore, but instead, go back and forth between several pieces and put them away for a little while, later picking them up to look at them again. That and get advice from others whose word and opinion I trust. It's amazing what I didn't see before, as far as various possibilities and approaches to my painting, and I'm thankful to my colleagues and especially my wife, who weren't afraid to kindly offer suggestions I might have otherwise overlooked.