Saturday, February 25, 2012

heron painting in progress


So I'm about 2/3 finished with painting the Great Blue Heron in the woods posted above. It's based on a photograph I took a couple of months ago, just down the street from where I live. I'll write more about it when it's finished, hopefully by tomorrow, which means I need to get my rear in gear here and put in another eight hours before tomorrow night's end. Normally, I don't like to show or post about art I make when it's not yet complete, but it might be interesting to see how it looked before the end results. Like the photograph I took, the heron, which was perhaps the biggest and bluest one I've seen by far, was somewhat hidden behind lots of branches and skinny trees as it seemed to be watching and waiting patiently for some fish to swim by below the fallen tree it was standing on, after an unusually warm winter day's rainfall. So, while I'm not even going to attempt to get all those branches and trees on the canvas, I'll definitely have some more going up in the foreground, overlapping the trees as well as the bird currently in the painting. There's still some work to be done here as well, as far as texture, depth and shadow on both the bird and trees. This painting is the first in another, second graduate painting class I decided to enroll in, and I find I'm working a lot slower with much more of a focus now, compared to the first time I took the class. The problem has always been putting in more time at home. I finally cleaned and reorganized the studio room earlier today and feel like I can work and think in there once again. After some rearranging and getting rid of some things, I've got a lot more space to move as well as think, which makes all the difference in the world.