Wednesday, March 28, 2012

new painting for march, half finished


I'm a lot more excited about the current painting I've been working on (above) for my winter/spring grad class, compared with the last one, which I still don't consider complete. This is probably because this one's a lot more minimal and simpler, which isn't necessarily a bad thing at all. I had a bunch of photos to choose from and my instructor had a real positive reaction to the one I took in January, 2011, which was a complete, happy accident, where an enormous turkey vulture even appeared more enormous when flying around above me, as a small plane passed on by overhead. They ended up in the same photo, and it was an image I have always wanted to paint in a large, square format. So far I'm about fifty percent finished, and the nice thing is, there's an end in sight. My goal is to complete this by next week and get a third piece started, and hopefully finished by the end of the course.