Sunday, April 8, 2012

hirshhorn and national gallery sculpture gardens, washington, dc


Washington DC is a real treasure trove of great art, and I tend to take that for granted, living so close to the nation's capital.  So much of it is free too, as part of the Smithsonian Institution, which again, is easy to take for granted until you realize how good you have it, especially when you visit other major cities to see art. So yesterday I took advantage of the excellent weather and the numerous great exhibits, and traveled the National Mall for some artistic inspiration. Kris couldn't come along unfortunately, since she was still nursing a cold that I most likely gave her from earlier in the week. This worked out for the better however, since I tend to want to see it all in a day, where she prefers to stroll slowly. So, I focused on hitting up as many exhibits as I could yesterday, and took lots of pics, so that when Kris does go with me next time, I'll be better able to chill out and stroll as well. In the meantime, I'll start with some shots from two of my favorite spots at the National Mall - the Hirshhorn and National Gallery Sculpture Gardens. This post includes just a few, and I've been uploading and labeling many more for most of the day today, over at my Flickr site. It's been something I've been wanting to do for a long time now, and now I finally have begun. I'll be posting more from my visit to DC later this week, including some pretty neat Instagram shots, so stay tuned.