Tuesday, April 3, 2012

the melody unit: "the hallucinogenic torreador" & "the fugue"



The Melody Unit were a band from Seattle who I learned about while listening to some random tracks on Last FM a couple of years back. Apparently they were around a while, released a few albums, then disbanded a little while back. I heard a few songs from their "Odds Against Tomorrow" album and couldn't believe my ears, or the fact that these guys never got as big as some of their dream pop/shoegaze peers. In fact, they remind me a lot of the band "Arc In Round" (formerly "Relay"), from Philly, PA, with their beautiful male and female vocal harmonies and soaring, reverb-drenched guitar sound. Perhaps if they were from England and were signed to 4AD or Creation records, maybe more folks would have listened to them. Whatever the case, I was very lucky to find the "Odds Against Tomorrow" CD on Amazon for a very low price, in real good shape, which was insane since at the time, it was going for a very high price from most sellers. Lately, I've been playing it out a lot, hearing and enjoying things I haven't noticed on previous listens. I think I'll have to track down more of their material soon, I'm liking this one so much. Luckily I found a couple of samples from that album from You Tube, for your listening pleasure. Enjoy!