Saturday, May 5, 2012

r.i.p. adam yauch


Late yesterday afternoon I was sad to learn that Beastie Boy Adam (MCA) Yauch died after a long battle with cancer. While I'd have a tendency to accidentally call him Ad-rock, I was well familiar with Yauch's vocals and style, as all the members of one of rap's greatest trios and longest-lasting acts had their own distinct style and delivery. While I don't like to play favorites, it was MCA whose vocals I preferred, and I could identify with the "benevolent beastie" most of all. 

It wasn't until college that a friend played me the Beastie's third album, "Check Your Head" that I was a believer. Their first album (Licenced To Ill) was goofy, their second one (Paul's Botique) hinted at real potential, but it wasn't until album number three that the trio blew up (and grew up), and truly displayed their insane skills. Below are a few of my favorites videos from a DVD I own, and would watch way too much called "Beastie Boys Video Anthology: from the Criterion Collection".  In the meantime, I still have to get around to picking up last year's "Hot Sauce Committee pt 2" album, which sports some fabulous artwork and from what I've heard, sounds real good. R.I.P. Mr. Yauch.