Thursday, July 12, 2012

nelly kate:"out of me" & "stalkings" (live), & "the women of electronica" promo


Nelly Kate - Out of Me from Todd Raviotta on Vimeo.

Recently, upon visiting Winchester, VA, I discovered a great little book shop there called The Winchester Book Gallery who also sells records!  The people who run the place really get involved with the local community and invite artists, writers and musicians to perform there on a regular basis, much like that of a small cultural center.  One local musician the owner was telling me about was Nelly Kate, who had her record release party there just a couple of weeks earlier.  I almost bought her record that day but instead opted for something more familiar - a Tortoise reissue. Still, I went home and sampled some of Nelly's music online, and was impressed with her use of both electronic and more traditional instrumentation - something she excels at, in addition to being an excellent graphic designer, photographer and fine artist. Her latest release ISH ISH is out, and it sounds really good, reminding me somewhat of the sounds of Glasser. I'll be visiting the shop tomorrow, and if they still carry it, I'll have to pick it up. It's great to have an artist as good as Nelly Kate from this neck of the woods, and I don't doubt that her work, be it in the audio or visual realm, will be seen and heard and appreciated far beyond the Virginia region in the not-so-distant future, so keep those eyes and ears open.




The Women of Electronica @ 13ainbridge Collective from Kontra on Vimeo.