Sunday, August 5, 2012

testing my new jetpen/drawing trees at ida lee



Today I set out and decided to draw from nature. It was sweltering hot, but I managed to find some great drawing spots at nearby Ida lee Park in Leesburg, VA. I couldn't wait to test my new JetPen, which is a black ink cartridge pen, something I first tested on a Splotch Monster piece a couple of days ago. The company contacted me, said they liked my work, in particular my big recently completed Fan Kuan-inspired piece, and wanted to know if I'd be interested in sampling a pen. Of course I said yes, and it arrived promptly in the mail about a week ago. I haven't drawn in my Moleskine in a long time, and it's been too long since I've drawn or sketched from nature, which was a daily practice for me only a few years ago.  Kris has been encouraging and inspiring me to get back into it, and the JetPen in the mail was the perfect motivator. All I can say is I love using this pen to draw in the Moleskine sketchbook. It was a marriage made it heaven, the book and the pen, and I can't believe I've neglected to draw like this for so long. For me it's the ultimate form of meditation, especially when drawing trees. I can't wait to get back out again and draw, unfortunately a storm forced me inside today. My hand and eyes could use a good break though.





In the meantime, I found out some good news last night. I entered a piece of art into a local juried show and made it in! It was a photography piece, of all things actually (my first to be exhibited), taken in Tobago last summer, and it'll be part of the 11th annual "Something Hot" art exhibit at ArtSquare in Leesburg, Virginia. It's not easy to get into this show and I was really happy with this year's juror and much of the work that made it into the exhibit, which I'll post more about next weekend. The artist reception will be at ArtSquare this Friday, 8/10/2012, from 5:30 - 8PM. Hope to see you there!