Thursday, September 6, 2012

wayne dyer in dc tomorrow!



Tomorrow evening one of my favorite people in the world will be speaking in DC, Dr. Wayne W. Dyer.  I learned about his work after my wife picked up some of Louise Hay's books (another amazing individual who I love).  We got to see them speak in NYC almost exactly a year ago, and were fortunate enough to witness the debut of two films from their recently launched series "Tales of Everyday Magic" at the Director's Guild. If the series title strikes you as kind of corny or airy fairy, don't be fooled, because all four movies (Kris managed to find the last two DVDs at CD Cellar in Falls Church, VA recently) are some of the most beautifully written, acted, directed and all around artfully made films I've ever had the pleasure of viewing, thanks in no small part to former actor turned director Michael A. Goorjian. Unfortunately, we won't be able to see Dyer or Hay this weekend due to other obligations.



The writings and speaking of Dyer and Hay have had a real, positive impact on a lot of aspects of my own life personally, given I was once a lot more negative and cynical than I would have liked to admit for a good portion of my early adulthood. I've got a long way to go however, though I simply cannot imagine being in that "place" now and experiencing or accomplishing some of the things I have in recent years if I still were. I love the fact that both Wayne Dyer and Louise Hay are everyday people who experienced a good deal of disadvantage and adversity in their lives, and rather than allowing their ships to sink or take it out on others, they found solutions to forge ahead and prevail, and decided to share those solutions with others. All rambling aside, I highly recommend seeing these folks speak in person, as well as many of the other Hayhouse speakers and authors if you get a chance.  Featured here are a couple of clips featuring Dyer discussing how he began to recognize his path early on, as well as a description of the excellent film "My Greatest Teacher", which was loosely based on his life.