Wednesday, June 26, 2013

splotch monsters invade hypnocoffee, shepherdstown, west virginia


Yesterday I hung some Splotch Monster pieces at the Hypnocoffee shop in Shepherdstown, West Virginia (above). My friend David Modler had some of his work there for a while and managed to convince the shop's owner, Tony to get some of my stuff hanging on the shop's walls after he took his art down. So, after work, I drove out for an hour-and-a-half and arrived there by about 3:30PM. At that point it was around 95 degrees out and I could have used a serious shower and something to eat. Thankfully Dave was there to help, as he took down his work and got some of mine hanging up.


The Hypnocoffee in Shepherdstown, West Virginia is located on the Shepherdstown University campus, where Dave teaches, and it's quite possibly the most charming little coffee shop I've ever set foot in.  It's a tiny shop that somehow manages to fit a ton of people into it's space (there was a good and steady stream of customers when I arrived), so I chose to hang some smaller pieces throughout the place. I'm not too sure what that cool, big slab of wood was for, leaning on the wall near the shop's entranceway (above), but I liked it. 



Most of the Splotch Monsters I hung have never been on display or exhibit anywhere before, including the one Dave had me point to for a photo, that I quickly decided to name "Draco-face". 




Hypnocoffee even had a shelf full of records and a record player, though on that day there was a music mix playing from the laptop computer. I'll have to check out this collection more in depth during my next visit.


Dave having a discussion with the shop's barista (above).






Love the panoramic shot (below), courtesy Hypnocoffee!


A big thanks goes out to Dave and to Tony for hooking me up with this little show, which will be up for the remainder of the summer. If you are in or around the Shepherdstown, West Virginia area, definitely drop by Hypnocoffee and have yourself one of the best cups of joe on the planet. 


In the meantime, Dave , who has been working hard in his studio (above) will have an art exhibit at the University of North Carolina, Greensboro from July 5th -July 31st. The reception is on July 25th.