Friday, July 12, 2013

monsters ink 2013, now in full color!


So I ended up adding color to the latest Monsters Ink drawing, initially completed a couple of weeks ago. The reason for this is because it might be used for something else other than a page in the Halloween-themed publication that I'll post about soon, hopefully. I'm glad this was suggested to me because I was curious as to how it might look in color. I found the color portion, done with Prismacolor markers, to be a lot less of a challenge and took far less time than the actual drawing part, and I really enjoyed playing with some  different patterns and color schemes, while trying to keep it somewhat balanced and not too complicated or chaotic.  Now with color added, it's also far easier to find and count the different monsters.  Below is a photo I took earlier in the summer of one of my awesome student interns helping to start a large-scale Monsters Ink mural piece that was contributed to by my summer art students and completed by the end of the two-week session. Unfortunately I neglected to get a shot of the final image, but hope to do another next summer perhaps. 


I finally completed my illustrated story pages for an upcoming book to be released by spring, 2014, which I'll post a lot more about soon. They've been sent to the editor who will work his editing magic before it goes off to the publisher. I already can't wait to see the book in it's final, completed form, but that won't be for a while. In the meantime, Kris and I have still been busy with purchasing our first house together, and yesterday was our closing day, finally! Our realtor was extremely helpful during the nearly year-long process of finding this place, and she kindly gave us a beautiful, thoughtful architectural artist's rendering of our home (see below), which we'll be moving into in less than a few weeks. I've got another drawing project that I just began and hope to complete shortly, while all of my other free time will mostly consist of planning and packing for the big move. 


In the meantime, here's some recently released stuff from Mu-ziq, including "Trail Quest" from his sold out vinyl compilation of early unheard work called "Somerset Avenue Tracks (1992-1995)", and "Monj2" from his latest EP/material in seven years called "Xtep". If you like Mu-ziq's brand of colorful, melodic, beat-driven electronic instrumentals, he's got an excellent new album ("Chewed Corners") that can be ordered via Planet Mu.