Sunday, September 15, 2013

comic art workshop and artist-in-residency at artisphere, rosslyn, virginia


Yesterday I participated in the comic art workshop and artist-in-residency at Artisphere, in Rosslyn, VA, just outside of Washington, DC. The residence and workshop was part of the DC Conspiracy comic art exhibit, which currently runs alongside the Andy Warhol Silver Clouds show, all located on the third floor of Artisphere. I worked on a large-scale chalk art mural for a couple of hours, drawing Godzilla blowing silver clouds, rather than fire from his big ol' mouth. I also included Andy reluctantly surfing on one of the silver clouds, which was kind of a homage to the Silver Surfer, while his "Yes. No." reaction was a nod to an infamous interview with Warhol, which I was happy to find on You Tube and include in this post. I even made a big Splotch Monster and named him Andy, which you can see HERE. The highlight however, even more than the drawing and art-making, was meeting and talking to so many wonderful visitors to the space. They all made my day yesterday.



Again, I want to thank Matt Dembicki and Evan Keeling, as well as Artisphere for allowing this all to happen. It is a truly awesome event, so do check it out if you're in the DC area!