Sunday, January 26, 2014

sketch dump: 1/19/2014 - 1/25/2014


It's been a good week, with no work/school all week thanks to the ice and snow. It feels like we're finally making up for the last two nonexistent winters we've had in northern Virginia. It worked out so that I could get some serious work done on my car - something that had been much neglected since the big move last summer. I also got to the gym every day this week. Finally, I did a lot of drawing in the sketchbook. As always, I spent more time on some drawings than others, and some turned out better than others. I was reminded by how much I loathe drawing things with straight lines and angles when I drew a small Transformer action figure - something I thought would initially be simple. I also surprised myself with how well my Martin Luther King JR portrait turned out, and the fact that I actually, thoroughly enjoyed working on it. I've got a lot of love for MLK and perhaps that love came through in the image, and using a black china marker seemed the ideal medium for the job. While I'm actually enjoying this ice and snow, oddly enough, I'm also looking forward to getting outside again and taking on subject matter in the outdoors, perhaps in a quicker, more spontaneous fashion. For now though, I'm enjoying the more highly detailed, full blown drawings that have been taking up free time I might otherwise be wasting online or in front of the TV screen.