Saturday, January 11, 2014

sketch dump: 1/8/2014 - 1/11/2014


I can't remember the last time I did a "sketch dump", and I must say, it's a good feeling to be back in the saddle again. It's true, I began a week after declaring I wanted to sketch on a daily basis this year, but honestly, it doesn't really matter, as long as I got started. 

Above are the four sketches I've worked on this week, though they all mostly have become full fledged drawings, which I've got mixed feelings about. The first one, the piglet, drawn in fifteen minutes during my lunch break, from an old Nat Geo kids mag, was made swiftly using a charcoal pencil, something I also haven't used in ages. The bee, also from the same mag (I think), was drawn at the end of my school day, while talking with a colleague, and that took about twenty-five minutes. Then they got progressively more involved, starting with the old screwdriver, which I worked on for about forty-five minutes, using a mechanical pencil during a two-hour delay from school/work, due to ice on the roads. The spotty banana took me about an hour this morning, and I used both a china marker and a mechanical pencil. I actually thoroughly enjoyed getting lost and completely caught up in the details of the last two drawings, and rather than feeling frustrated or like I had to work hard, I felt a sense of total bliss - "art zen" if you will. It also made me more empathetic to my elementary art students who can sometimes get so upset when it's time for them to clean up and leave my art room. So many of them would finally find their rhythm and totally get into their work, then have to go on to the next class. They only see me fifty minutes each week, in one visit. I cannot imagine art classes that are only a half-an-hour or less, as with some schools. Anyhow, I decided to not make any rules, with regards to time constraints. If a drawing requires an hour, then it'll take an hour. If it needs no more than ten minutes, ten minutes it will be. I do want to focus on an object for the most part though, on each page, and simply concentrate on that object, get to know it and really study it. I also want to keep it at one sitting - no going back, reworking, etc. Once it's done, it's done. On some days I might practice from an image from a magazine or a photo from the computer, better yet from one I took. However, I prefer to draw from an object in front of me, whatever that might be. Lastly, I want to employ the use of pencil more, be it in charcoal, no 2, china marker, and mechanical refill pencils. I've worked in pen for the longest time, and will continue to on many projects, but for now, it'll be pencil. The good thing is, I don't feel as if this is some type of chore, or self-imposed burden I have to "tackle".  In fact, I can't wait to get started on the next one by the time I'm finished! Now, if I can only feel more that way about the gym I recently joined.