Sunday, February 23, 2014

sketch dump: 2/15-2/21/2014








Last Sunday I just completed working in my final page of what I call my flimsier Moleskine sketchpad, though I do love it. It was good to break in the new, thicker-paged Moleskine sketchbook - the kind I used to draw in all the time. I found I've been getting a little too precious with these sketches, and while I'm mostly pleased with the results, I feel I had somewhat of a breakthrough with my final sketch for the week, based on a photo I took of a Great Blue Heron last fall. Much of it can be attributed to working again with a black china marker, that functions like charcoal but not nearly as messy. I got a nice, loose, fluid style going on in that sketch - a true sketch, completed in way less than an hour, unlike most of my recent drawings. I haven't worked on today's yet, but I think I'm going to try and stay away from the mechanical drawing pencil for the rest of the week, so as not to get so caught up in precision, and get a more spontaneous approach down on paper.