Sunday, April 6, 2014

sketch dump: 3/30 - 4/5/2014








It seems like I've gotten a little bit better at understanding how to use those watercolor pencils I've worked with a couple of weeks ago, and I think it's time to give them a little rest and try something different. As always, when I'm writing these weekly posts I'm never too sure of what I'll try for the new week. I usually haven't even begun my Sunday drawing yet either. The problem with drawing in the evening is you get kind of tired by then, and the light is so poor for taking a photo. For a little while I was also scanning these sketches, but that seemed kind of pointless and time-consuming. Still, I might have to go back and scan some of my better ones. I'm happy if I at least get one good one per week. Still, I have to keep in mind the real reason I'm doing this and not be so concerned about what looks better than what.  As pretentious as it may sound, the truth is I'm learning how to see. I feel like it's a little war I've waged on the indifference so much gadgetry and technology has made us to the world we live in, to the things that matter, and as a result we lose our empathy. It is a domino effect, and I found I have kindred spirits in this mission to see, and as a result, feel, and ultimately LIVE again. I'm using this gadgetry to reverse the effect, at least in myself, if not anyone else. 

All of last week's sketches have helped me to have a better understanding of the subject matter at hand, through seeing, but one in particular was more or less a little revelation to work on. That sketch would have to be the one I did based on a photo I took of some cliffs at Crescent Rock, off the Appalachian Trail in West Virginia. To take a photo, a decent photo requires one to see something in the first place, but after the photograph is taken and the shutter is activated, the subject at hand can fade from memory like smoke in the wind. When I took that photo, it was the multiple colors and striations and cracks and crevices that drew me to the subject in the first place. Looking back through my Flickr archives, I had long forgotten about this image, about these gorgeous, colorful, monolithic rock formations in the earth. After sketching them, especially with watercolor pencils,  they are now etched in my mind for good, and the many colors and angles in this particular image was astounding, even if it was a fairly simple colored sketch. I can only imagine if I had done an intensive study in acrylics or oils what I might have learned and understood. Hopefully, some of these sketches are catalysts for bigger and better things, though I know they are just fine as they currently are, comfortably nestled between the black, hardbound covers of my Moleskine.