Monday, April 14, 2014

sketch dump: 4/6 - 4/12/2014









All week I decided to focus solely on using an Artist Pitt Pen by Faber-Castell, and I feel I got to know this guy pretty well. It works almost like a brush pen and if you get good, you can control quality and line thickness, which can be difficult. I tried to choose some subject matter that had lots of line in it - fur, bark, etc, to see how the pen works. What's really interesting about the pen is that the more you layer it, the darker an area will get, so you can get some decent depth in a drawing if you want. Since Kris and I went to Dewey Beach, Delaware over the weekend, I wanted to travel light, so I continued to use it on through this week (yesterday/Sunday) and will do so tonight after I post this. I'll also post some shots from Dewey too this week when I get a chance.

In the meantime, I've been thinking about a quote I saw on my Instagram feed that said something like "Art is a good way to say F@%& you to reality". I tend to disagree, and would prefer to rephrase it as "Art is a good way to make friends with reality". That's what I've been doing with these sketches, is making friends with the world I live in, but it doesn't have to be limited to realism or basing your work from literal things. Abstraction and Surealism are also different routes in making friends with reality, and rather than viewing any art as escapism, as many folks who don't make art tend to do, we should view it as a way of making sense of life, in our own personal and special way.