Saturday, April 26, 2014

some pics from delaware


Looking back at these photographs, it's hard to believe it's been two weeks since Kris and I got up and hit the road at the crack of dawn to stay for a few days and a couple of nights at Dewey Beach, in Delaware. It was how I started my spring break and it seemed like I had to wait forever until this little trip happened. It only took us three hours to arrive, and as soon as we got there we checked into the infamous Fractured Prune doughnut shop for our obligatory fried doughnut experience at 9:30am. Not something I'd recommend on a daily basis, but absolutely necessary as a place to go when visiting the area. Since our check in at the new Hyatt Place on the beach wasn't until about 3pm, we had some time to drive around, hit up an outlet mall or two (found a good deal on some much needed new shoes), etc. More than anything, we needed a change of scenery and a break from the hustle and bustle of LOCO-land. So, a short trip to a nice little beach was all that was necessary. 



We stayed at the Hyatt Place six months ago when Kris treated me for my birthday by booking a stay, and we were glad to stay again, as it's an excellent hotel in the heart of Dewey Beach. I found we kind of lucked out with our last two visits weather wise, with October staying nice and warm, surprisingly, before getting cool again, and earlier this month warming up for the weekend before a week of wind and rain. We also missed the crowds both times, and I counted about five other people on the beach when Kris and I visited last time (as seen in the uppermost pic).


Discovering new places and making friends with these places is always fun, and I feel like we've gotten a little more familiar with the area now. A highlight was The Point Coffee House and Bake Shoppe - a charming, classic little coffee house with great food and coffee and a welcoming atmosphere. Last October we visited nearby Nassau Valley Vineyards and couldn't wait to visit again. Kris and I were the first to get there on Sunday at noon, and we got some peaceful quality time in tasting, talking, dreaming and drawing before the crowd started rolling in a couple of hours later. This was probably THE highlight of our visit.




There's something about early spring, right before everything begins to bloom and the air begins to warm. This could be my favorite time of year, and I'm so glad we got to spend it here. Until next visit!