Saturday, June 7, 2014

sketch dump: 6/1 - 6/7/2014









With this past week's sketch dump it looks like I've either reverted back to my childhood or I've come full circle, with regards to both subject matter and materials. It was great using crayons again, as they're so versatile and easy to work with. As for the dinosaurs, finding actual subject matter to work from was kind of difficult since they're pretty much extinct and have been for quite some time. That's when I turned to a book I got for my twelfth birthday, an amazing book simply called The Dinosaurs, masterfully illustrated by William Stout.  Reading this book and seeing those illustrations takes one back to a time long before humans walked the earth, and using his work as loose reference made me realize how incredible Stout was, making me wonder if the guy secretly had a time machine and a camera back in the late seventies/early eighties. Anyhow, I've been pretty excited by an idea I'm going to pursue, and I couldn't think of  better reference material for inspiration.