Monday, July 14, 2014

making friends with summertime


As a public school teacher, I look forward to summertime, especially towards the end of the school year. Summertime means sleeping in, relaxing, and doing the things I normally don't have much time and energy for during the school year. The reality is, I can get lazy, or at least lazier than I want to get, and I tend to feel bad about it. I feel like I could and should be doing more, but I'm too sluggish. Maybe that can be attributed to the heat, and so far the summer of 2014 has been a hot one, though I'm looking forward to the cool front they're calling for later this week. Maybe I simply need to be lazy and learn how to relax more. I guess I'm kind of a restless soul when it comes to doing the things I want to do - the things I wish I had more time for. I tried relaxing under a new umbrella we bought for our backyard porch, but after about five minutes of attempting to calmly sip my morning coffee (which I really shouldn't have to drink in the summer), I was up out of my seat and looking around at things. A fallen leaf on the porch had caught my eye, or at least the way some water droplets from last night's rainfall looked on the leaf. This prompted me to search for a tiny macro lens that Kris had purchased online (at no more rack) for about fifty dollars last year. The lens comes in a set of three and can simply clip onto your i-phone when you want to get a good close-up shot of something. So, after finding the lens, I managed to get a decent shot of that leaf with the water droplets (very bottom image), which got me up and looking for other things to shoot using the lens. Now, the macro lens won't get you an instant winning pic, especially if you're like me and your hands get shaky from the caffeine in your coffee. So, after about a dozen attempts, I got one that was decent. That brought me to our little organic vegetable garden, where we're somewhat successfully managing to grow some tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers, eggplant and unintended (and probably inedible) mushrooms. With about 2% power left on my phone, I was able to grab a few nice shots from the garden using the macro lens. How great it is to live in a time where you can take amazing close-up images with a tiny, hand-held phone! Still, how great it would also be to be able to enjoy some time relaxing without an electronic device at hand. I managed to go without Facebook, or any other kind of social media for a week, last week, and I loved it. As much as I enjoy and appreciate social media, going without it for a week was like a mind-detox/refresher. Maybe I should try it more often, and learn to make friends with summertime again, minus the gadgets and gizmos, just like (not so) old times.