Thursday, September 11, 2014

chris guillebeau at one more page books in arlington, va 9/10/2014


Last night I was fortunate enough to see the always inspiring Chris Guillebeau speak at One More Page Books in Arlington, VA, to promote his new (third) book called The Happiness of Pursuit. It was almost exactly four years ago that Kris and I first heard of him and saw him speak at Barnes and Nobles in Washington, D.C., after getting a copy of his hugely influential book The Art of Non-Conformity. At the time I was just starting to get the ball rolling as an artist, and especially one who got their work out there in the world, as I was having a small art exhibit with about ten pieces on display at a little coffee house in Leesburg, VA. At the time, that was a huge deal to me. Four years later, I'm about to have my first real solo show at the Off-Rhode Studio in DC, with almost seventy works on display. It was good sharing this with Chris last night, as I thanked him for putting himself "out there" as well (never a simple task for us introverted types), and helping those of us who could use some getting fired up from time to time. Can't wait to start diving into the new book tonight!