Monday, October 13, 2014

the funk ark: man is a monster out now!


Been listening a lot lately to the brand new album by Washington, DC band The Funk Ark, titled Man is a Monster. First off, loving the album. In fact, I've been thoroughly enjoying their whole back catalogue, which currently consists of three albums. The band has gone in a slightly "darker" direction with this one, reflected by the album's artwork, courtesy of JJ Cromer and myself. I'm so glad the band chose the cover work from me and JJ's "Splotch/Asterisk" collaboration from 2013, which is what I was hoping for when I was told about the then tentative album title. I'm also so glad JJ was up for including this work to grace their cover, and I know I personally wouldn't want my art on the cover of music I thought lacked integrity. Probably the best part about having our Splotch/Asterisk art on an album cover was discovering a genre and style of music I'm not all too familiar with. As folks who know me can tell you, I've always been and always will be an electronic music nerd to the core, but it's good to get out and explore other styles of music, and their multilayered, mostly instrumental sound resonates with me big time. Let's hope more folks, both locally and internationally discover such a fantastic band. In the meantime, you can order your copy of this fine album HERE!