Sunday, October 5, 2014

wonderful birthday weekend


I used to think that the older you got, the less special your birthday would be, but last Friday, that was not the case. When I got home from work, Kris surprised me with a beautiful watercolor painting of our boy Gammera. I don't know how or where she found the time to paint it, but it turned out amazing. She even made the sign for my cake, by hand as well!


The real celebrating began Saturday, however, as we visited downtown Leesburg, VA for a walk around town. We took some pictures, including one (below) of the cool glass jar light fixtures at Hopscotch Coffee (formerly King Street Coffee)!



While the Fall foliage was just beginning to appear some, we still managed to get some nice shots and a good walk around the wedding garden at Ida Lee Park. This is where I proposed to Kris and where we got married, and it'll always be a place of peace and joy for me. 





Later that afternoon we visited one of our favorite wineries, Loudoun Valley Vineyards, just outside of Hamilton, going west on Charlestown Pike/Rt 9. We enjoyed a sunny (but very windy) afternoon with a bottle of some Route 9 Red, Kris' favorite from the vineyard.


This evening I capped off my birthday weekend with a viewing of one of my all time favorite movies, The Iron Giant. It's such a modern classic, I really hope it does come out on Blu Ray soon. Anyhow, with the movie's gorgeous autumnal setting in Maine, I always feel like watching this movie early Fall (which was when I saw it four times in the theaters when it first came out).


In the meantime, if you need a good pet portrait in watercolor, don't hesitate to contact Kris at her site HERE. She'll be more than happy to accept commissions!