Sunday, January 4, 2015

astrodon page finished!


Yesterday it rained and poured from morning to night, nonstop. Originally I was going to head into DC to check out some art exhibits, but I'm glad the incredibly wet weather conditions forced me to stay inside and complete my Astrodon page for Magic Bullet issue number 10.  I put a lot of love into this page this time around, being it's a special issue that will also celebrate the tenth anniversary of local comics artist and writer collective DC Conspiracy, started by Matt Dembicki. I attended the first three meetings at a great place in Arlington called Dr. Dremo's Taphouse. I think the first meeting drew about six people, the second brought in about a dozen, and then by the third it doubled to around twenty-four or more.  I had actually found out about Matt through a Washington City paper article, featuring his Mr. Big comics - a then ongoing story about a giant snapping turtle and the animals he shared his habitat with. It was such a cool, unique story, I ended up buying all of his self-published books online and invited him to do a comics-making workshop with my students in my art classroom. It's amazing to see how far Matt and so many of the other artists and writers associated with the DC Conspiracy have come, progressing from some fun, light-hearted collaborative "jam-books" revolving around a fictional cosmic superhero called Dr. Dremo, to incredible, professionally written and illustrated anthologies that you can find at the local bookstore. Despite me not being nearly as hardcore a comics-head as most of the members of the group, Matt has kept in touch and has always invited me to participate in the latest happenings. 

Anyhow, tomorrow after work, this piece, made using thick watercolor paper and Faber-Castell Grey Artist Pitt Pens (a first for me), will go off to get scanned in Leesburg and sent to the publisher later in the evening. I can't reveal the whole page however, at least not until the paper itself has been released and is out for a little while, but I can show some of the progress as of late yesterday afternoon (above photo). I'm very happy with the results but know it could always be better. Still, you have to know when to stop and decide to move on. Looking forward to seeing this, as well as all the other amazing work to be featured in Magic Bullet #10!