Saturday, January 24, 2015

phase two (interior drawing) of the alchemical vessel complete


I've been wanting to get started on this for so long and finally did, late this afternoon. I have to admit, this was kind of scary - the actual process of getting started making marks on this very special ceramic bowl, which is going to be a part of the third annual Alchemical Vessel fundraiser and exhibit at the Smith Center for Healing in the Arts, in Washington, D.C.. This project is far different from anything I've ever worked on, in that I've never drawn on a ceramic bowl. Even more so, it wasn't like I was drawing or painting on a piece of paper or even a canvas, where you could discard it or start over again if you messed up. Finally, the bowl itself is quite fragile in it's bisque-fired state. The actual act of drawing on a curved surface turned out to be far easier than I had expected. What was an issue was the pencil marks smudging, and me having to erase a lot and carefully brush off the eraser shards (using a soft paint brush) while trying not to smudge the pencil marks even more. I guess I shouldn't even worry because the pencil marks will burn off in the kiln anyways. Still, it's encouraging to see this phase of the piece finished in what will be a very gradual process. Now I'm going to take the next step and draw the flowers (Gladiolus) along the outer edge of the bowl in pencil. Tomorrow I'm going to apply color in the form of underglaze, which I don't have much experience with. There's a chance I may apply a clear coat of glaze as well tomorrow, which will be absolutely necessary but cringe-inducing.  At least the ball is now officially rolling and it's all baby steps from here on out.