Sunday, April 19, 2015

ellyn weiss exhibit at the montpelier arts center







A couple of weekends ago I attended the opening reception for DC artist Ellyn Weiss at the Montpelier Arts Center in Laurel, Maryland. The show, called "I Can't Make Up My Mind" covers a wide range of Ellyn's recent works, from mono prints, to sculpture to gigantic mixed-media drawings/paintings, and is truly a feast for the eyes. You can see just how busy Ellyn has been over the past few years, and her sense of play, experimentation, color and composition is pretty impressive, especially when seeing it all together in one big, beautiful space. I was fortunate enough to meet Ellyn, and later learn of her work when she attended an art workshop I held at Art Enables a few years back, and I had been meaning to attend one of a number of her open studio and art exhibits since. I'm so glad I finally made it out to one, and this one in particular, at such an amazing center, where a couple more extraordinary art openings were also going on that day. The show runs through May 31, 2015. 

On a small side note, being this was my first time visiting the center, I was intrigued by the charming little art library set up in the center's silo. I posted some pics below for your enjoyment.