Friday, July 3, 2015

landscapes and summer studio time


So, this past week I've spent some quality time in the basement studio, breaking in a new easel I got last Christmas, and painting some landscapes on canvas. I promised myself that I would spend at least four days a week in the studio and work on acrylic paintings for an upcoming show at a local vineyard. The vineyard tasting room is pretty spacious on the inside, so I feel some pressure to get a lot of work produced in a very short period of time, as the exhibit will be taking place this September. It's a good pressure, however, and I was greatly inspired by watching the David Hockney documentary, "A Bigger Picture". I love his approach to landscape painting, quickly and confidently applying color almost intuitively to the canvas, sometimes producing a big beautiful piece within the course of a few hours, outdoors, on site. Ironically, I've worked indoors so far, using photos I've taken locally over the past decade or so. Still, it's a good place to start, and I'm enjoying mixing acrylics again, and experimenting some with color. I also promised not to get too caught up in the details or going for exact visual replicas, which I couldn't, or wouldn't want to do anyhow. Now it's time to take a break for a few days, refresh my brain and enjoy the Fourth of July Weekend with friends and family.