Tuesday, August 4, 2015

landscape paintings, week 5


At this point, I've completed my targeted twenty landscape paintings in five weeks. It's hard to believe that over a month of my summer break has passed - it literally has flown by, despite three of those weeks with me having a very persistent case of poison ivy, which is finally on it's way out. I could have chosen a relaxing summer over a productive one, but I don't feel as if spending X amount of hours each day working in my basement studio has been even remotely stressful. Challenging, and at times frustrating, difficult even, but not stressful. 

I know I said, as of last week, that twenty-five paintings for the show would be my target, but perhaps I was being overly ambitious. I also decided to feature five drawings of trees I made last year, that I'll frame for the show, that I feel will tie in well with the nature theme. Still, even though I technically have a week off next week, I have a three-day professional development class to attend from Monday through Wednesday. This week I have to tie up some lose ends and run some errands and relax a little. So, the painting will be on hiatus, at least for a couple of weeks until I get myself situated with being back at school. Once the dust has settled,  I'll get back to the easel, hoping to produce at least one or two paintings per week, most likely landscapes again. 

Last week I tried a couple of things that were different for me, including working on two beach scenes based on recent photos I took from a trip to both Rehoboth and Bethany Beach in Delaware. Both days were very different, weather-wise, but both quite beautiful in their own way. I also painted my largest painting on canvas so far - based from another one of many photos I took from a hike to Crescent Rock, off the Appalachian Trail. Working that large wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, as I've had more issues with much smaller canvases. Style-wise, it was probably the closest I've come to being under the "influence" of David Hockney's work, not that I tried, or even came close to what Hockney does. It's just the most abstracted of the bunch, as I've tried to avoid shooting for realism at all costs. 

Again, I need to get these twenty pieces properly photographed, as well as add wire for hanging, and signed and labeled - a whole other beast. Thankfully, I still have a few weeks for that, however I'd prefer to get it done before I get back to school.