Friday, March 25, 2016

2016 alchemical vessels illuminate the joan hisaoka healing arts gallery


Kris and I were able to drop into the Joan Hisaoka Healing Arts Gallery/Smith Center for Healing and the Arts earlier in the week. I had missed the opening reception night, but learned the gallery had a record number of attendees, surpassing the 425 mark. I remember attending the 2015 opening reception, the third of this event, and my first time participating, and recalling how packed the place was then. It's good to know that folks in the DC area are so supportive of the arts, and of places and shows like this, and I was so glad to be nominated to participate. Still, it was nice to have some space to freely roam, explore, take photographs, and get a good, close look at the art. While the gallery wasn't packed like the opening nights for this exhibit, I did have the pleasure of meeting some of the wonderful artists who are also exhibiting in the show, including (clockwise from upper right-hand corner) Spencer Dormitzer, Cheryl Edwards, and Adjoa J. Burrowes, who were all gracious enough to let me take a pic of them standing by their amazing work. Kris even managed to get a pic of me posing by my vessel as well (upper left-hand corner)! In the meantime, you can click on the gallery link above for more about the upcoming benefit and fundraiser, as well as for the exhibit's closing reception. I'll make sure to post a lot more photos from the show here at the Go Flying Turtle blog, in the near future, so stay tuned.