Thursday, March 24, 2016

cherry blossom trees at lake anne, reston, va


The cherry blossoms that arrive in the NOVA/MD/DC region never get old for me, and while seeing them in our nation's capital, along the tidal basin is always a treat, it can be taxing dealing with the droves of traffic and visitors to that area each year. This is why I love it when we stumble upon a place that is equal, if not even more enchanting than the DC blossoms. Earlier in the week, Kris and I made a short trip to nearby Reston, VA and in particular, visited the Lake Anne area. Luckily, to our pleasant surprise, the cherry blossoms were in full bloom, colorful and vibrant as ever. I never take the fact that we have these trees growing in our area, for granted, and I even teach lessons to my first, second and third-grade art students based on these trees. In the meantime, HERE is some more fascinating history and information about how these non-native trees came to this part of the United States.