Saturday, March 26, 2016

pangolin (egg) love!


Yesterday I finished an art piece for a show that Kris and I were asked to participate in at the Franklin Park Arts Center. It's a customized art egg, created to help raise money for the center and its many amazing art-based programs. The FPAC has been a place close to my heart ever since my friend and fellow artist Eric Scott introduced it to me several years ago. It was one of the first places I exhibited my work at, and I still show there on occasion, as I'm always up for a good artistic challenge. The egg itself was a basic, paper mache craft egg that you could purchase at your local arts and crafts store. I decided to give it a layer of gesso, followed by a layer of white acrylic paint. The subject matter, a strange and wonderful endangered animal known as a pangolin, was something I had thought about using for my ceramic bowl, that was shown at the 2015 Alchemical Vessel exhibit at the Joan Hisaoka Healing Arts Gallery. The way the pangolin wraps itself into a ball, much like the more well-known armadillo, seemed to lend itself to the round shape of the bowl. Instead however, I chose to do a rhino with magnolia flowers, which you can find HERE at this post from last year. Fortunately, the pangolin worked out very well in the egg format, and all I used were black, permanent Sharpie markers to draw it with. To learn more about the upcoming show, read the blurb below:

We've hatched a new idea invite you to be a part of the fun! Celebrate the art exhibit "Which Came First? The Chicken or The Egg?" with an event to raise money for the Franklin Park Arts Center visual arts programs. Large eggs decorated by local celebrities and artists will be auctioned off LIVE! Egg-themed refreshments will be served; artists and fans of chickens, egg and artwork are all invited.

Tickets: FREE, Eggs to be sold at auction

Special seating will be reserve for members for the auction event.

Sunday, April 17, 2016 1:00 - 3:00 PM