Sunday, March 6, 2016

thirty-six trees, phase one completed, and 2016 alchemical vessel artist statement



Thirty-six trees drawn in thirty-six days. Here's a sneak peek at some that have not been posted yet here at the Go Flying Turtle blog. I decided to keep the original pieces, which would be worth at least $150.00 a piece, individually. I just couldn't justify giving away nearly five-thousand dollars worth of work for the upcoming benefit show at the Smith Center, and perhaps the only way I'll sell these is altogether, as a set of thirty-six original works. Otherwise, I'm thinking of getting high quality, archival prints made to sell online, at shows, etc, in the near future. I did, however make a giclee print of each piece for the Alchemical Vessel show and benefit, which was expensive, but well worth it. Currently I'm adding the final touches to the vessel, which I'm a little behind on, but thankfully can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

It was good to be required to write an official artist's statement for my alchemical vessel this year, as it was last year as well. Yes, sometimes these things can be irritatingly pretentious, however, most of the time they shed some light on what it was the artist was trying to convey with their work. It's hard to believe that I drew thirty-six various trees over the past thirty-six days. Honestly, it seemed like I just started this yesterday, and I'm both sad and somewhat relieved that it is over, and the work that I produced over this past month-and-a-half has met my own, personal highest standards. In short, I felt I successfully have seen this vision through until the end. With the opening reception at the Smith Center for Healing and the Arts/Joan Hisaoka Healing Arts Gallery right around the corner, I'll post photos of the finished work ASAP, here at the blog.

Title: Thirty-six Views of Trees I've Known

Artist: Steve Loya

Materials: wooden cigar box, black gloss spray paint, one-off signed and numbered archival giclee prints of pen and ink drawings on watercolor paint and wc paper


Artist Statement:

Being in nature, creating art, and experiencing color are just a few of the things I think of as having a healing effect on people. These are also a few of the things I thought about when setting out to work on my Alchemical Vessel. I was also greatly inspired by the work of Katsushika Hokusai, especially his Thirty-six Views of Mount Fuji series of prints. These works illustrated Hokusai's love for his surrounding natural environment, with Mount Fuji being the main focal point and spiritual signpost of the series. Taking inspiration from Hokusai's prints, I chose to make thirty-six drawings of trees I've either sketched or photographed over the past decade or so, searching through hundreds of images from as close as northern Virginia, and as far away as Trinidad. I also chose to incorporate a contrast of balancing loose watercolor washes with meticulously drawn renderings of trees, with their endless variety of shapes and forms, and the personalities they seemed to express. The vessel, while left simple and minimal in design, contains thirty-six one-off giclee prints of the original drawings, signed and numbered by the artist.

                                                                                                             -Steve Loya, 2016