Thursday, July 14, 2016

monster mash 2016


Today, while working alongside my cartooning students at Camp Powhatan, I put the final touches on a new Monster Mash drawing that I began during our first week of Creative Cartooning. It's always fun working alongside the kids, as they give me ideas and vice versa. With my older students, who I work with during the second half of the day, we made Artist Trading Cards (or ATCs) based on the characters and creatures extracted from our Monster Mash drawings, all of which began as a single continuous line, later to be filled in with numerous details, including facial features, patterns, textures, etc. It can be an excellent way to generate ideas, especially if you're having trouble coming up with characters. Much of the inspiration also came from doing some extensive drawing of realistic animal figurines beforehand, as well. By the end of the day today, we all had fun trading cards with each other. Below is the final version, along with some sequence shots, while the above photo is a detail of the completed piece. I didn't make or include any high quality scanned images yet. I'll be saving that for my submission to the next Magic Bullet comics publication. Stay tuned for more!