Thursday, July 7, 2016

the art of shanthi chandrasekar



The greater DC area is brimming with great art and artists all throughout the region. Many times I find myself stumbling upon the work of local artists accidentally, and pleasantly surprised by what I see. Such is the case with Shanthi Chandrasekar, whose paintings and sculptures were on display at the Takoma Park Community Center, in Takoma Park, Maryland. I stopped by the center yesterday to drop off some art for this evening's exhibit, Stylized Notions, whose reception happens from 6:30 - 8 pm. Shanthi was there taking down her large-scale paintings, when I talked to her about where to drop off my artwork. That's when I found out that it was her art that was hanging throughout the center, and I was fortunate enough to meet Shanthi in person to learn more about this prolific, self-taught artist. It turns out that she is also the art exhibit curator for the center, as well. 


It was very inspiring to see and learn more about this amazing work, greatly inspired by Shanthi's Indian heritage, as well as from other cultural influences. While the big paintings have come down, you can still get a look at her many approaches to sculpture, from cloth dolls, to soap stone carvings, to wood and paper works - no material is off limits! 









Shanthi also collaborated on a beautiful book, which she illustrated herself, mainly with watercolor. You can currently find the book HERE, and it'll also be available via Amazon soon.