Sunday, August 7, 2016

process post over at splotch monster island


I've always enjoyed seeing posts where artists show some behind-the-scenes process, to give viewers some insight into their work. As I've done in the past, in previous blog posts, I emphasize the word, work, because as enjoyable as it might be, it's still work. Sometimes people wonder how an artist "just whips something up like that", which despite being well meaning, can also be kind of insulting, as nothing was ever simply whipped up, but rather hours, days, weeks, months, years, even decades of work went on behind the scenes, beforehand, contributing to the present work at hand. It's all a gradual, developmental process. If neglected, you can get a little rusty. Anyhow, not to trail off too far, the point is to somewhat demystify the artistic process and give credit to the actual work that went into it. Not to say there wasn't a little bit of magic involved, or whatever you want to call it, but that's only a part of the equation. In the meantime, I made a little step-by-step process post, to show how I've been putting together my current Splotch Monster Island meets Endangered Kingdom series pieces, which you can see at the Splotch Monster Island blog.  I'm having fun with the merging of different concepts, taking one that I began posting about here at the Go Flying Turtle blog, and branching it out in a new and challenging direction. Stay tuned for more to come soon!