Tuesday, February 28, 2017

2017 alchemical vessel is complete and ready for delivery!


This is the third year in a row that I've been asked to participate in the annual Alchemical Vessel exhibit and benefit at the Joan Hisaoka Healing Arts Gallery in Washington, DC. I call this piece "Surrender to the Night", as it goes with this year's nocturnal theme. The title was inspired by former D.C. band Trans Am's album of the same title.

ARTIST: Stephen P. Loya


STATEMENT:

Not long ago I began work on a series of mixed-media pieces I called "Entities". These were made at a time when very close family members were passing away all within a relatively short timeframe. The series helped me deal with the loss I felt back then, and was a way for me to attempt to make sense of things. I ended up resurrecting and reconfiguring one of those pieces into my vessel called "Surrender to the Night". I don't claim to know the answers to life's great mysteries, and I'm cautious about jumping to any final conclusions about what happens when we pass on. In fact, I find immense beauty in the incomprehesibility of our vast universe, and choose to embrace the great unknown with reverence and optimism that in the end, everything will be alright, and work out as it should.

TITLE: Surrender to the Night

MATERIALS/MEDIA: watercolor, archival pen, collage, wood, acrylic paint and paper